Diabetes treatment – it’s all about the money!
Lets face it – standard medical diabetes treatment today is driven by big pharma, and its EXPENSIVE!
To understand diabetes treatment, its important to understand diabetes. Most people confuse type 1 and type 2 diabetes, and view them both as the same.
In fact, type 1 diabetes is a genetic disorder that often shows up early in life, while type 2 diabetes is largely diet-related and develops over time.
Over 30 million people in the United States have diabetes, with only approximately 1.25 million of them having type 1 diabetes. This means that around 29 Million people have type 2 diabetes!
Type 2 Diabetes treatment today is BIG BUSINESS!
Consider the following statistics :
- There are almost 30,000,000 children and adults in the United States that have diabetes
- 86,000,000 Americans have pre-diabetes (the forerunner to full blown diabetes)
- 1,400,000 Americans are diagnosed with diabetes each year. That breaks down to 3,835 people per day, or 1 person every 23 seconds!
- The annual total cost to treat diagnosed diabetes in 2012 was $245,000,000,000.
- The annual total cost to treat all diabetes related illness (diagnosed, undiagnosed, pre-diabetes & gestational diabetes) in 2012 was $322,000,000,000
- Individuals with diabetes spend an average $13,700 per year to treat the disease and its side effects (neuropathy, ulcers etc).
Those are some pretty substantial numbers in anyone’s books, and of those diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, approximately 85% are overweight or obese.
How Modern Diabetes Treatments are Failing You.
Most modern diabetes treatments aim to treat the symptoms of diabetes, and not the cause.
Why you might ask?
Well, think about it a little.
If they could prevent or cure diabetes, it would mean the end of a very lucrative market.
As a result, it’s much easier to let people carry on getting sick and treating the symptoms. This means continued business and great profits for those that provide the means to monitor and treat this disease.
The sad part about it is that the largest problem area, type 2 diabetes, CAN be reversed in people that have it, and largely prevented through simple changes in diet and lifestyle.
Read our article here to find out how easy it is to treat or even reverse type 2 diabetes.
 American Diabetes Association – Statistics about diabetes. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/statistics/